Inspiring advocates to save the world’s largest source of freshwater
The team at Mightybytes was focused on understanding our organization’s goals and capacity. As a result, we not only have a great new website but are well positioned with the skills to maximize the new site’s potential to involve even more people in our mission of protecting the Great Lakes.
Jennifer Caddick Vice President, Communications & Engagement Alliance for the Great Lakes
The Alliance for the Great Lakes, a Chicago-based conservation group dedicated to preserving the source of drinking water for 40 million people, asked Mightybytes to help them better meet fundraising and advocacy goals.
The Alliance was using several clunky systems to manage their online communications and website. Outdated design, stale content, confusing navigation, and a disorganized information hierarchy didn’t allow website visitors to find the information they needed. This resulted in lost opportunities for donations, advocacy, and volunteering. Plus, without easy to use content management tools, the organization struggled internally to devise an effective strategy for communicating opportunities to supporters.
Mightybytes gave The Alliance’s website a complete redesign in 2016. Through a series of collaborative workshops and goal mapping exercises we collectively retooled how the organization told and shared its story to better inspire Great Lakes advocates to take specific actions. These actions, such as making donations, contacting lawmakers, and newsletter signups, are critical to the organization’s success. Workshop insights then informed the full website redesign.
The website redesign process included the following elements:
- A content audit helped us understand what they had to work with and informed content strategy and information architecture efforts.
- Content workshops and tools like Gather Content streamlined the process of culling and migrating content while also retooling the organization’s content creation process.
- Style tiles and a detailed style guide drove the visual design of content/display patterns and individual components as well as the overall site.
- Component prototyping aligned our designs with user needs and business goals.
- Training workshops and a fully-customized CMS back-end helped The Alliance’s team get up to speed quickly and more efficiently manage the new website over time.
- We also set them up with web hosting powered by renewable energy and ongoing maintenance to keep their site updated and secure.
Continuous Digital Marketing Improvement
A website launch offers great opportunities to collect valuable user data and make informed decisions about how best to improve your business goals. To that end, we have helped The Alliance track and improve upon core key performance indicators (KPIs) across multiple systems over time:
- Online donation revenue increased more than 50% in the first year after the redesign, and increased almost 30% during the second year.
- Thanks to improved SEO efforts, organic web traffic grew by more than 25% in year two.