B Corporations like Mightybytes use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. Mightybytes became a Certified B Corporation in July 2011, and also one of the State of Illinois’ first legal Benefit Corporations in January 2013.
We use B Lab’s B Impact Assessment as our blueprint for building a better business, measuring what matters, and benchmarking performance. As proud members of the global B Corp community, we strive to use business as a force for good in the world every day.
We believe that in order for society to enjoy a shared and durable prosperity, businesses should be model corporate citizens, serving as leaders in their communities, and operating transparently as if all stakeholders—not just shareholders—matter. Workers should be given a fair living wage and a work environment that supports inclusion and diversity. Sustainability and corporate responsibility should not be siloed in departments, but built-in philosophies that govern entire organizations.
We also understand that as a profit-driven, service-based business, sometimes a natural tension exists between profit and purpose. We embrace this conflict and strive to make the best decisions possible with what our resources allow.
Our Triple Bottom Line
A common attribute of all Certified B Corporations is a commitment to a triple bottom line. Here is a little bit about what that means to us:
- People: We provide for employee health and well-being and work to benefit our community through volunteering and addressing environmental and social justice issues in our work.
- Planet: Sustainability is woven into every aspect of our business, from our green office to our company policies, and by being leaders in the field of sustainable web design.
- Prosperity: We are a for-profit business. By being prosperous, we are able to accomplish our goals for People and Planet.
We support our people and our community. Here are some ways we do that.
- Peer-to-peer education and process improvement through regular lunch-and-learns and brewstorming.
- Hosting community events at our office.
- Participation in a variety of bike commuting and green commuting challenges sponsored by the Active Transportation Alliance.
- Participation in events like the Chicago Green Office Challenge. Our team educated each other about topics like water conservation, recycling, green cleaning, and were encouraged to complete at-home activities.
- Strategic partnerships with nonprofit organizations like Climate Ride.
- Participation in annual business planning through SOAR analysis, assessing our company’s strengths, opportunities, aspirations and results.
- Coordinated volunteer efforts.
- Several Mightybytes team members also serve on the boards of local and national nonprofit organizations and are active in local government.
Interested in joining our team? Visit our Careers page.
Here’s how we support a better future for our planet:
- Working in a green office with living plant walls, energy efficient lighting, remote-controlled HVAC, Energy Star appliances, VOC-free paints, and walls made of partially recycled materials.
- Encouraging employees to compost, recycle, and use green forms of transit such as biking, walking, and taking public transportation.
- Having green purchasing and travel policies.
- Hosting our websites and digital products on servers powered by renewable energy.
- Being leaders in the field of sustainable web design.
- Launching Ecograder, a free tool that helps companies assess website sustainability and increase the energy efficiency of their online properties.
- Offering pro bono services to organizations like Climate Ride, who are fighting for a more sustainable future.
For more information on our sustainability efforts, please visit our Sustainability page.
B Corporation Discount
We encourage our clients and partners to join us in our mission to be a force for good by offering a discount on all of our services to Certified B Corporations, legal Benefit Corporations, and to mission-aligned nonprofit organizations.
The B Corp Community
Mightybytes is just one of dozens of Chicago area companies using business as a force for good in the world. For more information on our local B Corp community, check out the Illinois B Corps website. If you want to know more about the global B Corp community, visit B Lab’s website.
Join the Illinois B Corporation Mailing List
What’s the Difference Between a Certified B Corporation and a Benefit Corporation?
Great question! A Certified B Corporation has gone through a rigorous third-party B Impact Assessment that measures a company’s performance in several categories including Workers, Community, Customers, Environment, and Governance, which encompasses Accountability and Transparency. Learn more about the B Impact Assessment here.
By becoming a legal Benefit Corporation, a company must change its corporate structure and follow the provisions of Benefit Corporation legislation. This legislation can vary from state to state but the core principle is that a company must provide social benefit alongside its mission to be profitable. We go into more detail on the differences between Certified B Corporations and legal Benefit Corporations in our FAQ on the Illinois Benefit Act. Currently, Benefit Corporation legislation is only enacted in certain states. You can find out which states have enacted laws here.
Annual Benefit Report
Annual Benefit Reports detail our impact on the environment and the community. Download our Annual Benefit Report Below.